Pope Francis established a World Day for Grandparents and the Elderly which took place for the first time on Sunday 25 July 2021. In 2022, the celebration will fall on Sunday 24 July, the Sunday closest to the Feast of Saints Joachim and Anne, Grandparents of Jesus. The theme chosen by Pope Francis for this year’s celebration is: “In old age they will still bear fruit” (Psalm 92:15).
The Catholic Grandparents Association has been at the forefront in campaigning for a greater recognition of Grandparents for their role and vocation in passing on their faith to the next generation. The announcement of a new Church-wide celebration for Grandparents and the elderly came in answer to our prayerful request to the Holy Father Pope Francis.
This new worldwide celebration in the Universal Church calendar is a momentous achievement for Grandparents and the Elderly and will hopefully reassure them that they are loved and that they are needed.
We invite you to join us in marking this momentous day in parishes. We have a whole suite of resources and ideas for how you can make this a wonderful celebration for all.
We are delighted to offer some resources and ideas of how you can celebrate this momentous occasion. Please see below:
- Overview of Resources for the World Day for Grandparents and the Elderly 2022
- CGA Emblem for the World Day for Grandparents and the Elderly 2022
- The Story of the Catholic Grandparents Association and the World Day for Grandparents and the Elderly
- Resources from the Dicastery for Laity Family and Life
Messages and Catechesis of the Holy Father
- Pope Francis’ Message for the World Day for Grandparents and the Elderly 2022
- Pope Francis’ Message for the World Day for Grandparents and the Elderly 2021
- Pope Francis’ Catechesis on the meaning and value of old age
Prayers and Liturgical Resources
- Prayer WDGE 2022
- Prayer for the first World Day for Grandparents and the Elderly
- Prayer for the first World Day for Grandparents and the Elderly (Spanish)
- Pope Benedict XVI’s Prayer for Grandparents
Suggested events and Activities for the World Day for Grandparents and the Elderly
- Plant a Tree in Their Memory
- Send a Peace Card via email or social media
- Children’s Prayer Appeal: We invite children in schools or parish to compose prayers in honour of their Grandparents. These are presented at the Offertory during Pilgrimage Masses.
- Book of Remembrance and Forget Me Not Flowers
- World Day 2022 pull up banner design 1 for use in your church
- Poster for your church or parish centre notice board – see large file below
- Social media and web visual to promote the day – see large file below
- Starting a Ministry for Grandparents in your parish – Why not contact us to find out about starting a Ministry for Grandparents in your parish. You could launch it on the World Day for Grandparents and the Elderly! Email us: email@example.com
- The Grandparents’ Faith Café
- The Grandparents’ Faith Café Podcast
Please check back here regularly as these resources will be further developed between now and the 24 July 2022. Please also check out the latest news section on this site for news of events and initiatives from around the world.
Social Media and Website Visual: